Friday, November 16, 2012

Can you handle this?

Sorry for the corny post title. I couldn't think of anything else. A couple of years ago I painted an old antique dresser and have gradually been making little tweaks to it ever since. Well now, I'm pretty sure I can't tweak it any more. I have been anxious to do a little oil-rubbed bronzing (ORB) magic to the drawer pulls to update the "brassy-ness" of them. Brass is just not my thing and doesn't really go with anything I own.

The drawer pulls are so ornate but they just looked blah in brass-on-white in person. Here's how they started:


Sorry for the crumby photo. I took it in bad light and was too anxious to get it posted that I consciously neglected to lighten it up in Lightroom.


It took a couple of days for the drawer pulls to dry so after unscrewing them, my genius engineer-of-a-husband decided to install some temporary pulls (seen above made out of twine) so that it wouldn't be a huge challenge to get the drawers open without the handles.

He also had a great idea to secure the drawer pulls on a plank of wood so that I could flip them upside down in order to paint the under-side of the handles. Sadly, I didn't get a photo before I detached them. Sorry.

I used Rust-oleum's Metallic ORB spray paint for a diy job that I haven't yet posted but will in the future. So in essence, the paint didn't cost me anything because I already had it on hand. Bonus.


Here are the drawer pulls installed back on the dresser in their ORB goodness:



A while back, I also decided to line the drawers with some leftover wallpaper from an old project my aunt and uncle did at their house that was leftover. I asked for the few leftovers and lined the drawers to cover the old finger prints that are inside the drawers.


I'm not certain whose finger prints they are but I know my grandfather used to touch up/re-stain old antique pieces he picked up and since I've had this dresser since I was a kid, I like to imagine that they're his. I'm not sure they are though. So instead of permanently gluing the paper down to cover them I just have it floating on top like so:

So there you have it. The only "before" photos I could find that I still had of the dresser before going white were these ones of Milo in his first few days with us - over 5 years ago. So excuse the poor quality, junky and cluttered University student digs and gratuitous kitty shots.



My one and only regret about painting this beautiful piece is that I didn't keep those keyholes in their original state. One day, I may strip the paint from them but that will be a lengthy and tedious process. In the meantime, here she is once again all doled up with ORB handles:



While we're keeping things real, I cut off the top of the photo so you can't see the pile of laundry waiting to be put away.


Over the weekend, if you're looking for some reading, here are a few links:

A recent article I wrote about the demolition progress of my former high school.

Amy Butler's beautiful Ohio home.

For those who have seen the new James Bond Skyfall movie, here is an interesting article about the abandoned island where Javier Bardem's character has his home base.

My dream home and garden in Lanark County right outside Ottawa.

An article by Time magazine about the High Price of Cheap Food.


Happy weekend.

Until next time...

1 comment:

turtle and dragon said...

Looks good, you have been busy.